Port Pirie Visitor Information
Port Pirie, South Australia
Port Pirie is a charming coastal town located in the Mid North of South Australia. The town is situated on the eastern shore of Spencer Gulf, and is known for its stunning beaches, rich history and friendly locals.
Things to Do
- Visit the Port Pirie Regional Art Gallery, which features an impressive collection of Australian art and contemporary pieces.
- Take a stroll along the picturesque Solomontown Beach, where you can soak up the sun, swim in the crystal clear waters and play beach volleyball.
- Explore the historic Port Pirie Railway Station, which was built in the 1880s and still functions today as a major transport hub.
- Go fishing at the Port Pirie River, which is home to a variety of fish species including mulloway, bream and salmon.
Places to Stay
Port Pirie has a range of accommodation options to suit all budgets and tastes. These include:
- John Pirie Motor Inn - this 3.5 star motel offers comfortable rooms, free Wi-Fi and an on-site restaurant.
- Travelway Motel - this modern 4 star motel features spacious rooms, a swimming pool and a barbeque area.
- Port Pirie Beach Caravan Park - this affordable caravan park is located right on the beach, and offers powered and unpowered sites for tents, caravans and RVs.
Port Pirie is located approximately 2.5 hours' drive north of Adelaide, the capital city of South Australia. Visitors can reach the town via the Augusta Highway, or by taking the train on the Adelaide to Darwin railway line.
If you're flying into South Australia, the nearest airport to Port Pirie is the Port Augusta Airport, which is located around 80km from the town. From there, you can hire a car or take a bus to Port Pirie.
Visit Port Pirie
Whether you're seeking adventure, relaxation or a bit of both, Port Pirie is the perfect destination for an Australian holiday. With its stunning beaches, rich culture and friendly community, this charming coastal town has something for everyone.